Friday, October 15, 2010

I can cook a mean bowl of cereal!

Probably my biggest downfall of being a wife is that I cant/don’t cook. I mean, I keep our married life “spicy,” if you know what I mean, it just ain’t in the kitchen. (And that’s probably why my husband doesn’t complain much.) TMI? Mmm, perhaps.

When we registered for our wedding, the thought of kitchen utensils and appliances overwhelmed me. Half of the stuff we registered for was forced upon me by my mother because she insisted that I can and will cook.  Mr. Harris and I will celebrate our one year wedding anniversary on November 28th, and almost a year later, half of those shiny Kitchen items are packed neatly in the Kitchen. Some are still in their boxes with a shiny hope of one day living the life of a true Kitchen basic.  I’m not worrying much about it until those chubby-cheeked Catholic babies come along.

I say that, but I do have a silent longing to be at least a decent cook. My mom is one of the best cooks I’ve ever known. She knows recipes by heart and they taste just as good years later. She can take 4 ingredients, and under pressure, create a masterpiece.
My Grandmal (that’s how I spell it) is a true, Southern, cook. Gravy, salt and all. And I love it. She has concocted my most favorite meal of all time…
- Baked Steak with home-made brown gravy (with lil’ pieces of remaining beef.)
- Homemade mashed potatoes. (Not runny, not too lumpy.)
- Something green I put on my plate for good measure.
- Sister Schubert rolls (because none compare)
- Real sweet tea, extra sweet.
- And for dessert, cranberry-apple pie with home-made crusts served with freshly made ice cream.
O….M….G. DELISH! I’m almost salivating as I write this.

And me? Well, I can cook up one mean bowl of cereal. Milk and all, baby! Sometimes I like to mix it up by adding… *gasp * frozen blueberries!

But this is a goal of mine. To be come a better cook. It’s not easy with a husband that works evenings, and me working till 5:30 every day. But I’m working on it. Starting with this crock pot. I’ve been given lots of “easy” recipes to try with minimal amounts of touching raw meats. (The thought of raw chicken makes me vomit in my mouth a lil.) I’ve tried a few of said recipes and so far, so good. But now comes the worry of cooking great meals that are good for you, too.  And that’s easier said then done.

You’re probably wondering how this ties in with my weight-loss journey. Well, simple enough, a sista’s gots to eat! That’s how!

~Jenn

1 comment: