Wednesday, October 13, 2010

But how, Jenn?!

Okay, several of yall have asked how I’m trying to win this battle of the bulge. Well, I’m starting small and within reason.

A few weeks ago, I started visiting my friendly gym more often than I was. I had been going to my regular Wednesday Zumba class, but I started spreading out my scope of gym activities. I’ve tried a spin class, which is a literal pain in my ass. I’ve also tried a Sports Conditioning class which involves a lot of running, squats, push-ups and the like.
I like classes because I’m less likely to leave in the middle of one if I’m tired. It keeps me accountable to stay the full hour. It also helps that I have a gym buddy, Lindsey. I know if she’s going, then I’m more likely to go because I don’t want her to judge me. J
Last week, I picked up the elliptical machine. That machine helped me to lose my college weight several years back. It’s hard to stay on it for the 45 minutes to an hour, so I strategically plan when I go. I try to go when one of my favorite 1-hour shows are on. Like most gyms these days, ours has private TVs at every cardio machine. I plug in my lil’ head set and watch. During commercials, I change to a selective work-out playlist on my iPod and really step up my intensity. Then when the show returns, I continue watching.

The diet part, honestly, has been the hardest part. Like I mentioned before, my adoring husband loves to eat. And one of these days when I meet lil’ baby Jesus, I’m going to ask him why he forgot to give me a metabolism like Neal’s, or any of those skinny biotches I’ve known along the way. (No offense, if you’re a naturally skinny biotch reading this. Much Love!)
But last week, I dramatically changed my eating habits. I still eat out with Neal, but I’ve swapped my chicken McNuggets to chicken salads. My tuna subs to turkey subs. Full flavored dressings to lite. I’ve completely taken out fried foods, even though the smell of fries is music to my thighs! I’m trying to eat more fresh foods such as veggies and fruits. My favorite fast-food place is Wendy’s because I adore their apple chicken pecan salad. Pair that with a tater, and it’s a fine meal!

All these small changes, I feel, will bring great results, with time. And that’s probably the hardest, in reality. Knowing that I won’t wake up and miraculously put on size 6 next week. I’ve seen several friends starve themselves, try these low-carb diets, and some inject themselves with God knows what. (Horse urine and human growth hormones, for one. Yes, you heard me right. Horse piss!) But what I know works is exercise, eating right and most of all patience.

I leave you with this.
One of my favorite parts of the gym is when I leave it. Honestly. I don’t like sweating. I’d rather be on the couch catching up with my DVR. But when I leave the Y, I know that I’ve done something to help myself.
The YMCA, where I attend, has this basket of “Vitamins for the Soul.” It’s a basket of tiny slips with paper with printed bible verses or appropriate quotes. I grab one every time, and I swear, in that little piece of colored paper, God speaks to me.

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

I think that says it all.

~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! The Southwest Chicken Salad from McD's is pretty amazing...it has a lot of zest in it! I lovingly refer to it as a Party in My Mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read in a variety of different fitness books and magazines that drinking 1 glass of organic chocolate milk after you workout is really good for you. Milk rehydrates you better than water and chocolate helps rebuild the muscles you've been working and tearing. So, I share this because MY favorite part of my workout is drinking that 8 oz glass of chocolatey goodness after the workout and knowing it's good for me! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete